DCLM Daily Manna Devotional Sunday 29Th May 2022 – A Prosperous Era
The Topic of Deeper Life Daily Manna Devotional for 29th May 2022 Is “ A PROSPEROUS ERA “
Text: 2 Chronicles 17:1-11
1. And Jehoshaphat his son reigned in his stead, and strengthened himself against Israel.
2. And he placed forces in all the fenced cities of Judah, and set garrisons in the land of Judah, and in the cities of Ephraim, which Asa his father had taken.
3. And the LORD was with Jehoshaphat, because he walked in the first ways of his father David, and sought not unto Baalim;
4. But sought to the LORD God of his father, and walked in his commandments, and not after the doings of Israel.
5. Therefore the LORD stablished the kingdom in his hand; and all Judah brought to Jehoshaphat presents; and he had riches and honour in abundance.
6. And his heart was lifted up in the ways of the LORD; moreover he took away the high places and groves out of Judah.
7. Also in the third year of his reign he sent to his princes, even to Benhail, and to Obadiah, and to Zechariah, and to Nethaneel, and to Michaiah, to teach in the cities of Judah.
8. And with them he sent Levites, even Shemaiah, and Nethaniah, and Zebadiah, and Asahel, and Shemiramoth, and Jehonathan, and Adonijah, and Tobijah, and Tobadonijah, Levites; and with them Elishama and Jehoram, priests.
9. And they taught in Judah, and had the book of the law of the LORD with them, and went about throughout all the cities of Judah, and taught the people.
10. And the fear of the LORD fell upon all the kingdoms of the lands that were round about Judah, so that they made no war against Jehoshaphat.
11. Also some of the Philistines brought Jehoshaphat presents, and tribute silver; and the Arabians brought him flocks, seven thousand and seven hundred rams, and seven thousand and seven hundred he goats.
KEY VERSE: 2 Chronicles 17:10
“And the fear of the LORD fell upon all the kingdoms of the lands that were round about Judah, so that they made no war against Jehoshaphat.”
Kings and political leaders look forward to peace, prosperity and progress in their era and after their exit. They assemble think-tanks to come up with programmes to achieve these goals. Some, however, do not mind employing unreasonable avenues to reach these noble ends. For them, dining with the devil to get what they want is in order.
King Jehoshaphat, in our text, knew that true prosperity and progress could only come to his land through obedience to God’s words. He put the law of the Lord first. He sent teachers of the word of God and priests all over the land of Judah to impress it upon the citizens that if they wanted to enjoy genuine peace and joy, they must honour His Word and detest idolatry. This national zeal for God led heaven to prosper Judah and kept wars away from the land.
Our suffering world will enjoy blessing, prosperity and peace if only we would learn from King Jehoshaphat, who forsook idolatry and made a decision to take his people back to the true God. The individual, who is also at his wits’ end like the agonising societies, can also enjoy a victorious life of peace if he respects the laws of God.
But many go about espousing teachings that have failed to offer them the joy and peace they need. The vast education they have acquired leaves them further frustrated. We must present Jesus to them, the only One who gives “peace… not as the world giveth” (John 14:27). His absence in one’s life brings in chaos and poverty.
THOUGHT FOR THE DAY:
Putting God in our equation attracts divine support.
THE BIBLE IN ONE YEAR:
Daily Manna is the daily devotional of the Deeper Christian Life Bible Ministry (DCLM). It is an extraction of God’s Word designed to draw the sincere seeker closer to God on a daily basis through an insightful exposition and analysis of God’s Word.